Sunday, 24 August 2014


This month's Mixed Media Challenge is to use stencils and texture paste
This is my entry

This is the 3rd attempt!!!...a learning experience definitely!
Primed canvas board with white gesso.
Applied Dylusions sprays (London Blue, Fresh Lime, Dirty Martini and Melted Chocolate), making the inks run. Dried and then flicked with water and dried again.

Here's where the fun began! I wanted the texture paste (I used B&Q Flexlible Filler) to stay white when put over the Dylusions...but this didn't happen. So I tried Matt Medium to try and fix them, but that did terrible things to the colours and made them run!
Had to start again. Then I tried hairspray, then 3 coats of Windsor and Newton Satin varnish and then Matt medium over all that. The colour still leeched through.
Had to start again. In the meantime did a bit of research and found a spray to fix inkjet ink might work so ordered a couple of brands of that. One worked! Permafix (2 coats).
Stencils used: Blossom and branches from Crafter's Workshop, Dandelion from Peerless Designs.
I then brushed in the waterfall with white acrylic paint and a fan brush.
Then I stamped various ferns and leaves using Brilliance ink. Should have used Staz-On.
Stamps used: from CaroLines Creative Stamps, Sheena Douglass and Kanban (now closed).
I did think to spray with the Permafix, but the ink hadn't dried properly, so the colour started to leech into the paste. I found drying the paste with a heat gun helped slow the leeching down.
At this point I decided I'd wasted too many canvas boards so would have to paint over the paste with something that would hide the colouring.
I used Cosmic Copper Brilliance ink, followed by a light brushing with Lightning Black.

More texture paste mixed with green acrylic paint and a bit of the Copper brilliance ink for the leaves on the tree and then some  Luminarte Silks (Crafter's Companion) to add colour to the flowers.
Butterfly stamped with Galaxy Gold Brilliance ink.

I think maybe I should have coloured the texture paste with black paint and had a silhouette effect!